Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Middle of the Night Musings: A Lesson on the First Amendment or Merely Technical Difficulties?

I can't access my blog while in Beijing. Not now, not for three days.

What you are reading is what I forwarded to Clint's email address to post for me. Why can I access Hotmail, MSN.com, PE.com and others, but not my blog? What is the difference? Unless it truly *is* technical difficulties, the difference is that I am in China and trying to post my personal opinion.

We voice our opinion so freely in the US! (While I'd rather go through life without "The O'Reilly Factor," the First Amendment is what gives both of us that freedom.) So what I am talking about is freedom of expression ... and I am in China.

Who remembers quirks in recent history to recall one of the factors in the reunification of Germany? The fax machine! By the use of commonly available and fairly unsupervised technology --- the phone lines --- many people could read the same message at virtually the same time and collectively organize to do something about their situations. Clint and I always say "The Internet is our friend," but obviously it is the friend only of people who are free to access it.

"But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

2 comments:

Admin said...

Blog entries on some parts of Microsoft's MSN site in China using words such as "freedom," "democracy" and "demonstration" are still being blocked.

Chinese bloggers already face strict controls and must register their online journal with Chinese authorities.

Both Yahoo and Microsoft said they are simply abiding by local laws as they police the Internet in Chine. The truth is, of course, that there's a buck or two to be made from the Chinese government. -Clint Bradford

Milty said...

We here in the U.S. take our many freedoms for granted. We assume that other countries allow their citizens the same freedoms we enjoy. Only when we travel to other places in the world do we realize that this is not the case.We must be vigilent here in the U.S. that our first amendment rights are not trampled upon.