Sunday, October 21, 2007

Kathmandu


I am safely at my next stop --- Kathmandu, Nepal --- and the challenges of a third-worldcountry are evident: Somone cut the zip-tie on the outside pocket of my suitcase(a someone who did not want ladies black shoes). Nepal is a case of remaining vigilant.I have a TSA lock on the main compartment, so the rest of my things were untouched.


I was the first person of our now-small group out of immigration and went outsidethe airport, looking to meet our transfer who never showed. The taxi touts circlingme like sharks: "Madam! Taxi? Where are you going?"


When Carole and Joann caught up to me, we decided we had better take a cab, and then I had a whole circle of drivers offering to take us. I negotiated in front of them, then asked to see the vehicles they were driving. One fellow assured mehe could fit three American ladies and five suitcases in something the size of aGeo Metro. I went for the mini van, then saw five men rush to help us, then askingfor "small gifts" for the favor. You know what that means: tips to anyonewho even looked at my belongings, preferably in American dollars.


When we pulled out of the parking lot, the next stop was a supposed "attendant"at whom the driver stopped and asked for 20 rupees fee: 10 cents equivalent. I wassitting next to the driver and just stared at him until he drove on. Can you imaginetrying to extort someone for 10 cents? It reminded me of getting shaken down in India when I went horseback riding, my guide telling me get off at a place shortof the stable and then saying I hadn't paid for his services. (I had not yetlearned to be suspicious and should have demanded that we ride back to the placewe started, but it was a steep hill with cobblestones and I was just as happy toget off with my legs intact.)


It is festival time here in Nepal, so many of the shops are closed, but I intendto go to a meeting of the "Rotary Club of Himalaya Gurkhas" on Monday night! (Isn't that a great name? I have visions of "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!") Stay tuned, and thanks for reading my blog.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Ah, yes. Gunga Din.

"So I'll meet 'im later on
In the place where 'e is gone—
Where it's always double drill and no canteen;
'E'll be squattin' on the coals
Givin' drink to pore damned souls,
An' I'll get a swig in Hell from Gunga Din!"

What a picture of the area and of the British Empire that story evokes and the wonder of being there to see it . . .

Wonderful!

Brian said...

Did you know?

Eduardo Ciannelli, who played the (seemingly) wizened Guru of the Kali cult in 1939's 'Gunga Din,' went on to play 132 more roles in films and on TV before his death in 1969 including one gig on 'I Love Lucy' in 1956.

Boy, I love IMDB!