Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Disco Lounge Bathroom


What more could Heaven offer me? In Shigatse, I finally had plenty of hot water, a shower, soap and ... red and blue blinking lights in the fluorescent fixture over the sink mirror! (It made up for my "No! No Laundry!" experience ...)


Now I know another reason that Rotary International builds clean water sources: When I tried to wash my hair the day before in Shegar, there must have been chemicals in the water that bonded molecules in some ways I've never encountered.


My hair was so filled with dust from our Mount Everest expedition that I was even going to chance washing my hair in water so cold that it made me gasp in shock and my hands quickly ache. I figured that if I sufficiently contorted myself into a U-shape over the tub, only the smallest amount of my scalp would have to endure the cold and I wouldn't scream very loudly.


I was pleasantly surprised when warm water began to flow, but when I looked in the tub, I saw apparently much more than Tibetan topsoil. When trying to comb my hair the next morning, I knew something was wrong, horribly wrong. Fortunately, our tour group arrived at the hotel in Shigatse before I truly had "helmet hair." I had the serendipity of thinking that even John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever" never had a disco bathroom.

No comments: